Tuesday, November 14, 2017

hum-drum

Hum-drum 
an impeding storm 

the sound of war 
rings the doorbell

it will find me sleeping 
these days for winter has already begun

it will find me 
in my own peace, dreaming of walks by the shore 

a hum-drum
the sound of war 

breaks down my door
finds me cowering in a corner 

with a book and a flashlight 
like I was twelve again

running from lava
on a speaking mare 

a hum-drum-hum-drum-drum 
the sound of war 

shoots over my head 
takes down the kites I painted all summer 

takes down three trees that stand 
pregnant with fruit 

takes down the quiet, the child, the budding rose, 
the burnt-out books, the land, the hands, 
the music, the days, the nights, the ways 
the times I counted in reverse 

brings me this fear in my bones, 
the sound of the drum never leaves me alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment